The Dam – Mattagami River
In 1916, the Mattagami Pulp and Paper Company began construction on their dam and mill in Smooth Rock Falls which were completed in 1917.
In 1929 the dam was used as a temporary connecting link for the Trans Continental Highway. Transports found it very difficult to negotiate the narrow dam as there was a 90-degree turn at the bottom of the hill on the approach to the dam. This temporary arrangement lasted until 1956 when a Bailey Bridge was constructed over the Mattagami River immediately north of the dam.
(The Bailey Bridge was in use until the current Highway 11 Mattagami River Bridge was built. It was officially opened on September 23, 1958.)