For Train Buffs
Privately owned by the local mill (Mattagami Pulp & Paper, Abitibi, Malette, and Tembec), this rail line was cleared in 1915 and a year later track was laid and put into use. The Mattagami Railroad was incorporated in 1927. Approximately 3 miles long, it met up with the main ONR line (previously the Transcontinental then the CNR).
In the early years passengers travelled in boxcars. In 1927, a horse-drawn trolley was added. A wooden box that travelled on the rails, it had a door, window, and wooden benches that could accommodate up to ten passengers. Travellers were conveyed to and from the town of Smooth Rock Falls and the Smooth Rock Falls Junction. It was dubbed the “Toonerville Trolley”, as the horse developed a funny gait from walking between the ties. Later on Mattagami Railroad purchased a passenger car. Due to reduced ridership, passenger service terminated on May 1, 1966. This railroad line was still in use, hauling freight, until 2006.
Mattagami Railroad — Claim to fame: North America’s Shortest, Chartered, Standard Gauge Railway.
For Train Buffs
Engine 100 stands in the town of Smooth Rock Falls at the intersection of Fourth Street and Hollywood Avenue. Obtained by the Mattagami Pulp and Paper Company in the early 1920s, it was operated as a main unit until 1951 when it was replaced by a Diesel Electric Locomotive. Engine 100 was maintained and operated as an auxiliary unit until 1966. This locomotive was presented to the Town of Smooth Rock Falls by the Mattagami Railroad Company in permanent commemoration of the Centennial of Confederation in Canada in 1967. A plaque was placed by the Town of Smooth Rock Falls in appreciation of the gift, and was unveiled by Mayor A. Roberts in the 100th year of Confederation. Inscription on the plaque: “This 2-6-0 steam locomotive No. 100, serial No. 55116, was designed by the American Locomotive Company and built by the Montreal Locomotive Works in 1915 for the Greater Winnipeg Water Works”.